A quick reference guide to common English language idioms.
English idioms can be tricky for ALL students to understand, especially English Language Learners. Download a classroom poster that Middlebury Interactive Languages developed in collaboration with WeAreTeachers. Print and hang this fun poster in the classroom, or give each student a copy to serve as a quick reference guide to common English expressions they might hear at school.
9 Expressions Every Middle Schooler Should Know
- Brainstorm: To spend time thinking about possibilities or ideas
- Think outside the box: To think creatively or beyond norms or expectations
- Go the extra mile: To put in additional effort in order to succeed
- Put on your thinking cap:A request to think about something
- See eye to eye: To agree with someone
- Take a stand:To defend a position, belief or person
- Speak your mind:To say what you are thinking or feeling
- Persevere in the face of adversity: To keep trying or doing something even when it’s difficult
- Actions speak louder than words: You know more about someone by what they do than what they say