We want you to feel safe about your child’s international travel. Below are two different options for students travelling to Spain, France, or China.
1. Chaperoned Group Flight from Designated U.S. Airport
Round trip, group flights will be reserved by the families with a designated agent at StudentUniverse. We do not allow plane tickets to be split up between several one way tickets.
All students, whether they’re connecting or being dropped off, will be responsible to arrive at the airport on time to the predetermined meeting location. Staff members will be on site at the airport and will ensure all students are checked in and chaperones will escort students through security. Students will stay with the chaperones on the group flight to and from the local airport and will travel with students during bus travel as well.
Upon returning to the U.S. students will either be picked up by a family member or will travel independently to their connecting flight. Middlebury Language Academy staff will remain at the airport for assistance, but will not be able to escort students to their connecting flight.
2. Independent Travel to and from Final Destination
Students will fly in and out of the designated local airport and staff will pick up and drop off students at the designated airport, train, or bus station.
- Granada – Pick up and drop off will be at the Federico García Lorca Granada-Jaén Airport.
- Beijing – Pick up and drop off will be at the Beijing Capital International Airport.
- Nantes – Pick up and drop off will be at the Nantes Atlantique Airport.
- Salamanca – There is no local airport in Salamanca.
- We suggest students fly in and out of the Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport and take a 2.5 hour bus ride, which departs directly from the Madrid airport, to the Salamanca bus station. Students will be picked up by staff at the bus station upon arrival and will be dropped off at the Salamanca bus station for the return bus ride to the Madrid airport.
- Students may also take a 2.5 hour train ride from the Chamartin train station to the Salamanca train station. Students will be picked up by staff at the train station upon arrival and will be dropped off at the Salamanca train station for the return train ride to the Madrid airport. If arriving at the Madrid airport, students should take a taxi from the airport to the Chamartin train station. Please be aware that trains are not equipped to handle large suitcases. Students will need to be comfortable lifting and managing their own luggage, as well as traveling independently from the airport to the train station.
- Families may also arrange for a car service from Madrid to Salamanca. Please contact our enrollment team if you would like to discuss this option.
If you have any concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Traveling to Saint Michael's College
Saint Michael's campus is in northwestern Vermont—a two hour drive from Montreal and just minutes to downtown Burlington.
If you are traveling to Burlington for the Academies, you will fly into Burlington International Airport (BTV). The airport is three miles from St. Michael's campus or about a 10 minute drive. We provide shuttles to bring Academy students to and from the airport. If you are arriving as a family, Burlington International Airport has many rental car options.
Directions By Car
From the South
Take I-89 N to Exit 15. Bear right off of the exit. Drive past the south entrance of Saint Michael's College and first set of lights. Stay in right lane and follow Route 15 through another set of lights. Bear right into the "jug handle" before the third set of lights. Cross the intersection to campus.
From the North
Take I-89 N to Exit 16. (Please note, there is no exit 15 for those traveling south on Interstate 89.) Turn right onto US 7 S toward the Winooski roundabout and follow signs for Route 15 (4th exit off of roundabout). On route 15, drive past the south entrance to Saint Michael's College and first set of lights. Stay in right lane and follow Route 15 through another set of lights. Bear right into the "jug handle" before the third set of lights. Cross the intersection to campus.
Directions by Plane
Burlington International Airport (BTV) is about two miles from the St. Michael’s campus. Plattsburgh International Airport in New York offers commuter flight options. Plattsburgh is about a 90-minute drive from campus via ferry. We arrange for shuttles to and from the Burlington International Airport.
Directions by Train
Amtrak train service is available from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, DC. The Essex Junction, Vermont train station is about 10 minutes from the Saint Michael's College campus.
Complimentary shuttle service will be available between Saint Michael’s College campus and Burlington International Airport or the Essex Junction, Vermont train station on Arrival and Departure Days. Students traveling by plane will be met in the baggage claim area on Arrival Day, and will be taken to their gate security check point on Departure Day. Official Unaccompanied Minors will be met at arrival gate and escorted through security to departure gate. To make your shuttle reservation, submit your arrival and/or departure details in the Travel Information online form.
Minors Traveling Alone
If your child will be traveling alone, please consult your transportation service (airline or train) on its Unaccompanied Minor (U.M.) policy. Passengers aged 16 and younger are often required to use the carrier’s U.M. service which provides your child with an escort from the trip’s beginning to its end. To use the service, parents must notify the airline in advance and complete the appropriate paperwork. Academy staff will be prepared to escort each officially registered U.M. through security to and from their gate. The Academy authorization contact for Unaccompanied Minors is: Program Representative, Middlebury-Monterey Language Academy, 23 Pond Lane, Middlebury, VT 05753. To be sure we are prepared for your U.M. and are in compliance with any specific U.M. procedures, please submit your U.M. requirements in the Travel Information online form. An Academy representative will contact you to confirm travel arrangements.
Burlington, Vermont Hotels
If you are dropping your child off at the Academy or picking him or her up, there are a number of lodging options in the Burlington, Vermont area. Here are a few in close proximity to St. Michael's campus, nestled among good restaurants and shops:
- Hotel Vermont, 41 Cherry Street, Burlington, Vermont. Located between Lake Champlain and Church Street, Hotel Vermont is an independent and green boutique hotel.
- Hilton Garden Inn Burlington Downtown, 101 Main Street, Burlington, Vermont. Located downtown and in the old armory, the Hilton Garden Inn is Burlington's newest hotel.
- Willard Street Inn, 349 S. Willard Street, Burlington, Vermont. Located in the picturesque Hill district of Burlington, the Willard Street Inn has 14 rooms in a converted mansion overlooking Lake Champlain.
- Lang House on Main Street Bed & Breakfast, 360 Main Street, Burlington, Vermont. Located a few minutes from the airport and less than 15 minutes from St. Michael's, the Lang House is located three blocks from downtown Burlington.
For more extensive lodging options, please visit St. Michael's College Accommodations page.